CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES «

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Courteous bus drivers?!

My first day back to school went quite well. To begin with, the commute was a pleasant surprise. Last night I complained about the fact that I was planning on leaving at 8 am this morning. Well at 7 am, after just 4 hours of sleep, I wasn't very inclined to get up. I ended up leaving at about 8:45. It was fine, though. I got to campus just after 10. The bus system was really easy to figure out. It was kind of weird, I rode the bus all the time in Spain, but I've only rarely ridden it in the States. So commuting today brought back memories of being in Spain. The first bus I rode was pretty crowded and I had to stand up most of the way. However, nobody was pushing, and if anyone bumped into anyone else, they apologized. Not only that, but it didn't smell bad. Clearly deodorant does make a difference. It was quiet, too. Also, not only will a bus driver stop and let you on if you get to the bus as he's pulling away, but if you are making a connection and you see your next bus pulling away as you arrive at the bus stop, you can actually have the first bus driver honk at the other bus driver for you so that he will wait for you to get off the bus you're on and board the other bus. Nice, right? I think if I ever asked a bus driver in Spain to do that, he would laugh in my face.

My classes all seem like they'll be interesting; it's good to be back in school. I'm going to be doing a ton of writing, though. For starters, my German Lit. class has a writing assignment due at the beginning of each class. Luckily, I only have classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. That should make it a lot easier to juggle my job, classes, and homework. Not to mention the fact that I'll save a lot of time only commuting 3 days per week. I had a lab class that I was going to be taking on Thursdays, but today I got it switched to Friday mornings. It's definitely worth getting up 1 hour earlier on Fridays to save 3 hours out of my day on Thursdays. So I'm sleeping in tomorrow :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey tell those bus drivers to move to SPain so they can drive my bus :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea we Americans were so nice! My faith in America has been restored... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mari!

Just read your note on my blog. I'm flying in at 4:15 on the 5th (to Seattle, naturally) :) from London. Would absolutely love to see you there if you can make it! Don't worry even if you can't make it though, I'll be visiting you soon! :) Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

deoderant is crucial