CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES «

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I Am a Rockstar
Chapter 2: In which evidence of my rockstardom is provided.

Hey! I just realized that I never wrote this chapter. Oops!

In Chapter 1, I mentioned that if I pass the Foreign Service Officer Test, I can take the Foreign Service Oral Assessment in DC in December. However, I knew that I might not get my test results until early December and it would be tricky to plan a trip to DC during the holiday season with 3 weeks notice.

I discussed possible scenarios with my mom and she suggested that the two of us plan on spending a few days in DC in December. That way, if I pass the test, I can take the Oral Assessment while I'm in DC. But if not - neither one of us has ever been to DC, why not see the sights?

Well, one thing led to another, and Jessica, Jonathan, and Julianna decided to join us!

We tried to get my dad to join us, but he had a valid argument. If we were all in DC and noone was back at the ranch, then everything would fall apart when we segued with, "Meanwhile, back at the ranch."*

At any rate, this is where my rockstardom comes in -

I spent about two hours working out the logistics of the trip and booking all of our tickets (getting excellent ticket fares for all of us, I might add).

This is what we (mostly I)** worked out:

Friday afternoon, December 14th, I'm renting a car and picking up my mom and Jonathan at EWR (Newark International Airport), who will be flying in from Seattle.
Then we're driving five hours to DC (mini road trip - woot woot).
On our way to our hotel, we'll swing by DCA (Ronald Reagan Washington National) and pick up Jessica, who will be flying in from Tulsa.
The next morning, we'll pick up Julianna at BWI (Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport).

Then we'll all rock DC, like only the Willeys can.

On Tuesday, we'll all fly back to Seattle on the same flights (no I'm not getting carried away with pluralization - we have a layover).

I had five browsers open and I booked these flights as close to simultaneously as possible. I also selected seats for all of us, so that we're sitting together (and I get the window - shhhhhh...don't tell).

That's why I'm a rockstar.

I suppose I could have just said, "I'm a travel agent." But that's not as glamorous.

So now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.


Added bonus: By renting a car, then flying back to Seattle with four relatives, I have also effectively solved the "How-in-the-world-do-I-get-all-of-my-accumulated-belongings-home" dilemma: I simply throw all my junk in the car, then sneak it into suitcases when people aren't looking. Jackpot.

*I hope he wins the lottery while we're gone.
**What?! I'm the rockstar!

1 comments:

Elle said...

Dude congratu-freakin-lations You passed the exam! So what's gonna happen now? You still going to have Seoul or What? Don't leave me all alone and hanging! You need to get back to me pronto!