CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES «

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Kids are hilarious

Anyone who has spent much time with kids, knows that they are good for a laugh. That's the real reason that I like to keep them around.

In talking to Jill (a 7-yr-old) yesterday, I made a crack about New Jersey not really being any better than Old Jersey. Of course, she didn't get it. But because I spend so much time by myself or with little kids, half the time I make jokes purely for my own amusement (sad, but true), so that was okay. Somehow, my witty pun (or pathetic attempt at a joke, depending on one's perspective) turned into a discussion about where we (as in, "we Americans") first came from.

"Well, we came from England," I said.

Jill looked at me incredulously, "We did?"

"Yes," I responded. "Well, you didn't," I quickly added, "you came from Italy and Ireland."*

"I did?" Jill stared at me, wide-eyed.

"Well, not you, really. You've lived here your whole life," I corrected. "Your ancestors did."

Scowling, Jill replied, "No! My aunts, not my aunt-cestors!"

Laughing, I looked up and noticed that Jill was deep in thought. Turning to me, she repeated, "My aunts! What? Did you think they were like aunt-sisters?"


*The kids often talk about their two great-aunts - they're very close to them. While the kids are probably mostly Italian, I've been told on more than a few occasions about one of their great-aunts, who is half-Italian, half-Irish.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. and i liked your joke about old jersey- i would have laughed.
-atoria