CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES «

Friday, July 08, 2005

Driving on the wrong..er..left side of the road

I arrived in Dublin two days ago and met up with Hannah, Roman, Robert, and Daniel. It was late by the time Hannah got there, so we basically just had dinner and called it a night. The next day we decided to hire a car so we could travel around Ireland and see some of the countryside. As I still don't know how to drive a manual, Roman was going to drive. But when we went to hire the car, we found out it would be a lot cheaper if the driver was 25. Roman turned 25 today, so we decided to stay one more day in Dublin and rent the car today. But when we got to the car rental agency, we discovered that Roman's driver's license expired today. This meant that I was the only one who could drive. It also meant that we had to rent an automatic, which was much more expensive. How many times have I wished I had learned how to drive a manual? More than a few.

Once we rented the car, we had to go back to the hostel to get our luggage and find out where to leave part of it. It doesn't sound that complicated, does it? But we managed to make it extremely complicated. I'm not going to go into all of it now, but 3 hours later, we were finally out of Dublin.

Let me just say that driving here was and is a lot harder than I thought it would be. It's not that big of a deal driving on the opposite side of the road, but having the steering wheel on the opposite side of the car is extremely weird. Getting a sense of the distance I have on each side of the car and parking are the main problems I have, but I'm getting better.

We're staying in Kilkenny tonight. It is a lovely little town with a river running through it and a castle nearby. Everything is a lot cheaper than in Dublin, as well. If we had more time, we'd probably stay here longer. But we don't, so we won't, so I need to leave now and go enjoy the city!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't comment on your use of the word lovely...or that your sounding like you've been in Europe too long...oh, wait I just did didn't I? Anyway, it sounds like you're having plenty of great experiences and I'm glad you left England when you did (i.e. terrorist attack).