CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES «

Monday, April 30, 2007

You're only as old as you feel...

I went to David's Bridal yesterday with my friend Christin. She's getting married in September and I'm going to be one of her bridesmaids, so I needed to try on dresses in order to find my size. Since she had already picked out a style, it only took us a couple of minutes.

As we were on our way out, I spied a dress with what I thought was a ridiculous/cool-looking(I wasn't sure which - it could have gone either way) skirt, so naturally, I decided to try it on. One thing led to another, and before we knew it, we found ourselves orchestrating an impromptu photo shoot. Hilarity ensued. Well, Christin and I thought it was funny, anyway.

The first round of photos was, naturally, bridesmaid dresses. I decided that I actually liked the skirt. I did think it was funny, though, that the skirt could stand up on its own without anyone wearing it. Clothes aren't supposed to do that.

Next we tried on prom dresses. Yikes. Christin decided that I looked like ocean waves and she looked like a jellyfish. Side note: she is not hiking up her dress in the picture - that's how it was designed. At this point, a saleswoman asked us if we were trying dresses on for a Sweet Sixteen party - no joke. Christin told her we were and she asked which one of us was turning sixteen!
As we laughed about it once the woman was out of earshot, Christin commented on the fact that the woman thought we were sixteen, and here we were, almost thirty! As soon as she said that, I felt very immature. You see, I don't think of myself as being almost thirty. I'm in my twenties. People in their twenties can do things like this, and although it's silly and a little immature, it's okay. But somehow it changes if I think of myself as being almost thirty. Somehow it doesn't seem acceptable to do this sort of thing at thirty. Lucky for me, I don't really care.

So we proceeded to the final stage of the photo shoot: the quinceañera dresses. These were just plain scary. When I looked at the tags and saw that they were almost $200, I commented that anyone who tried to buy one of these dresses should be slapped in the face.

1 comments:

Victoria said...

turning thirty should not change your desires to dress up like ocean waves- which i think is a pretty accurate phrase for what you looked like. and why wouldn't you buy a poofy fifteenarity dress? you should have gotten a big red poofy mexicanny one.